Thursday, May 27, 2010

Return to Lisciandros

I've been on jury duty for a week, so I haven't been to my favorite place for breakfast, Lisciandros. So, when I show up somebody is going to say something like "Where have you been hiding?" or "Haven't seen you around much lately," stuff like that. You never know who will come up with something, but you have to be prepared, so I've got some replies I just thought of; but I'm open to suggestions. None of them are going to be as good as my Father's standard reply to a question like this, "I've been carving a new wooden bunghole for a hobbyhorse. Would you like a ride when I'm done?"

"You know I thought things were going to change once I retired, but no matter what I do, there's always going to be a lot more people I didn't see during the week than people I saw. So, count yourself among the many who were disappointed, or, perhaps, lucky."

"Of all the places I didn't go last week, you were at the top of my list. I want you to know that."

"Why don't you tell me what it was like dealing with those emotions, because I've been so busy lately, I can hardly get any time away from me. So, what's it really like? Is it like a missing limb?"

2 comments:

  1. This is good--I never think about what I'm going to say at these conversation moments and then I've got nothing. It's an art I guess, and one you have to prepare for... Nibbs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever tried to read Thomas Friedman's The World is Flat? There's a guy who can say nothing in many pages. He's a true artist at applying verbal lipstick to an intellectual void. The Lexus and the Olive Tree is worse. It reminded me of one of those cowboy town sets on the old Hollywood lots, just a facade with nothing behind it.

    ReplyDelete